top of page


Potential sources of funding

IMPORTANT NOTE – UK Versity (UKV) receives no Government Funding which means that it is not registered with the SFA (Skills Funding Agency). Unfortunately, although many funding sources are available for learners, this means that certain sources of grant funding are not available to our learners, some examples are:

  • ILAs (Individual Learner Accounts)

  • Advanced Learner Loans

  • Any other grants/loans via Student Finance England

If you are applying for funding, please check first with the funding body. We are happy to advise on specific queries. If you are looking for finance for when you go to University once you have completed your course with UKV, you can find all you need on Student Finance England.

Student Cash Point is a comprehensive source of information on grants, loans, bursaries, scholarships and awards available to undergraduate and postgraduate learners in the UK. Millions of pounds worth of funding are up for grabs each year from the government, charitable trusts and universities to help learners cover course costs, rent, and all the other little living expenses that quickly add up. Register for FREE at Student Cash Point and see what’s on offer to ease the financial burden of going to college or university.

Lawrence Atwell’s Charity (The Skinners’ Company)
Atwell is supporting young people from low-income backgrounds; to help them move into work, develop vocational qualifications, and improve their life chances. The charity does this through two main programmes of funding; our Individuals Programme and our Charities Programme.

The Princes Trust
If you’re trying to get into a job, training or education, but lack the funds, see if you’re eligible for a Prince’s Trust Development Award.


A free service that helps people in financial need to access welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. Online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations.

Grants for individuals

This website contains details of over 3,500 trusts operating both nationally and locally. These trusts collectively have £362 million available each year. Prior to the launch of this website, the content has featured in A Guide to Grants for Individuals in Need and its sister publication The Educational Grants Directory. First published in 1987 and 1988 respectively, they have for many years been seen as the standard reference guide on charitable funds for individuals in need. They have been very popular with Citizens Advice, school/university welfare offices, other welfare organisations, libraries and other reference points. We aim to include all publicly-registered charities which give at least £500 a year to individuals, although most give much more than this. However it costs money to subscribe, we would suggest that you go to your local library and see if you can access it from their web-based resources.

Council for International
The website of the Council for International Education. It gives help and advice to prospective students from overseas. The site includes details of charitable trusts which give support international students, as well as links to other useful sites, such as the British Council.


Produced by Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust, this site is a comprehensive digest of health-related research funding and training opportunities. Includes information on charitable trusts as well as other funding bodies and travel awards.

Charity Commission

The Charities Register is maintained from information supplied by charities and provides key facts and figures about their work and finances.

The Queen’s Nursing Institute
Financial Assistance for Nurses.

The British Council
The British Council website includes sources of funding for students, teachers, young people and adult learners.

EGAS – The Educational Grants Advisory Service
EGAS, Family Welfare Association, 501-505 Kingsland Road, London E8 4AU.
EGAS was set up to help secure funding for students, particularly those who are disadvantaged. It mainly helps students who are “taking their first steps on the educational ladder, regardless of age.” They primarily assist students who cannot receive statutory funding, with priority to lone parents, the disabled, refugees, and people from under-privileged backgrounds or in exceptional circumstances. EGAS can advise on possible sources of funding. You will need to send a SAE and in return EGAS will send you an Information Form to complete. 

Citizens Advice Bureau
Local Citizens Advice Bureaux provide free, confidential and impartial advice on every subject. They provide advice and information; advocacy and negotiation; and representation. They can help with most debt problems; benefit entitlement; housing and employment issues. You can find the location of your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau from your local library or in your local telephone directory

bottom of page